Friday, April 20, 2012


Yesterday was awesome, I had 2 rounds of pizza hut, one with WuXuan, one with family. =D Awesome to the max!! Then I went to library and borrowed some books that looks interesting by the blink, to aim for the folder that could be redeemed after borrowing 12 books. So far, 2 of them were rather disappointments.

So today, I woke up early to collect the library books which I left at Tai house thus gotta meet him before his school. Then, went to TP on the hope to bounce into some familiar faces, but guess today was supposed to be a lonely day. Right after that, went to BBT shop, only to find it closed too, so I spent the whole day at home alone. Parents went out, so I practically got nothing else to do but sleep and imagine questions to be set for Saturday. I thought of using Marvel Avengers as a complete exam paper for the students haha. Wonder if it is possible, must be full of crap.

Anyway, so I asked Jo the other day too, I asked, why do we imagine? what taught us to do so? what motivated our brains to be delusional? Every kid do imagine that our toys come to life, some imagined for freedom, some mimics and go into the Game Stage Theory by Mead. However, before all these exposure, do we imagine? I'm sure we do, we imagined strangers to be some monster perhaps, but no one taught us what are monsters? They are just simply unprecedented encounters, just strangers. So what causes us to imagine? As we age, we also predict and imagine future possible situations, like the Looking Glass Self. And ofcoz, all of us dreamt of fame one way or another. Then, perhaps, some of us imagined life if certain things dont happen, or imagined what was it like in others' shoes.

Then on the same day I asked too. That as we grow older, because of our maturity to know that all problems are common to mankind, we know that problems do come, problems do get solved too, and problems are there for everyone, so why would people go to the extreme to lose humanity and suicide and etc? Frankly speaking, I have imagined several situations which I did not think I could handle too, and sometimes I get engulfed by the thought so bad I almost lose myself in the frustrations and state of mind. Then I gotta step back and calm myself again. So, by this theory, as we age, we should be wise enough to be rather calm in dealing with anything and everything? No wonder old masters in movies are so calm and relaxed.

There was this TED video on Laura Carstensen: Older people are happier. It is just as I thought. "We gotta safe the older people, so that we could get them to save us". With many social sciences experiments done by many great researches with great cutting edge technology, we concluded that the fact that we know we could not live forever in this world, led us to live a happier life and perhaps, more meaningful life. Many researches are done by conducting cross-sectional survey on stress, anger, worry, happiness and other feelings, on a daily basis, over period of time. Results obviously show that older people live happier life. Older people remember more positive images and happy faces than younger people. However, there are also studies over a cohort over a period of time and there are results that the same respondent has changes in their happiness as they age.

Older people trying to put up a positive mindset on an otherwise depressing existence?
Older people might be cognitive impaired. Positive emotions easier to process? or unable to process negative process?

These are proven be be not true. There are indeed shift of perspectives towards life as we age. Thus, the more matured we are, the clearer our priorities int his lifetime, the lesser we are affected by problems in life, thus we feel happier. And it is not that because the problems are repeated, but no matter how big or how trivial are the problems, we do not receive it at full blow, we have cushioned it with the acceptance or the understanding of life at this age.

And thus I conclude, I'm ageing too fast, I should be more emotional about problems and rant and vent as others would.

No comments: