Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Today, Im gonna touch on this old classic from Westlife. This should be their first few number 1 hits from their very first album. I think the arrangements, the style of singing and the lyrics suited the song like red wine and lamb chop.

In a summary, I think the song is talking about a man knowing that his girl cheated on him. So he felt really stupid to be with her so long and etc....

Baby, I know the story,
I've seen the picture,
It's written all over your face
Tell me, what's the secret that you've been hiding?
And who's gonna take my place?
I should have seen it coming,
I should have read the signs
Anyway, I guess it's over

This first verse already shows that there is some other guy in the girl's heart. I like the way Westlife sings, where the first 5 lines they sang it as if he sort of "accepted" the fact, and just calmly wanted her to admit it. I can imagine a scene with the man sitting in the sofa, calmed, just giving her a chance to explain. Then, the part where they sang "I should have", here, their tone had this image of swiping their fist like sort of angry, regret about the things he done - to love her. Right after that, they sighed at "anyway", which I think is really really cool!!

[Chorus]
Can't believe that I'm a fool again
I thought this love would never end,
How was I to know?
You never told me
Can't believe that I'm a fool again,
And I who thought you were my friend,
How was I to know?
You never told me

The chorus is like the man is trying to shout out his "regretted" actions of loving her. He is hating himself to be such a fool all along. I find it rich of emotions, really suited the song and lyrics.

Baby, you should've called me,
When you were lonely,
When you needed me to be there
Sadly, you never gave me
Too many chances to show you
How much I care
Ooh, should have seen it coming,
I should have read the signs
Anyway, I guess it's over

This verse, we can see how the man was not involved in the girl's world. Even when she was lonely, or she needed someone to vomit her problems, she would find others but him.

About the pain and the tears
Ooh, If I could, I would,
Turn back the time

This mini bridge is awesome too, they sounded really in "pain" and "tears"....

SO yea, thats for this awesome song. =D

No comments: