Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday is over =D
Lots of sleepless nights last week, gonna rest well this week.

Fri I had amazing race, it was fun with the right people in the group. =D Enjoyed myself, though tiring and exhausting, but the party was lame, so decided to head home, and cuz of that I missed 11:11pm by 3-4mins~!!!!!! Sigh...... Well, at least the one in the morning was caught, though the wish was not refined well. So yea, 10 years down the road, and we shall see if it works =D

Somehow I got sort of an image forming in my head that im drifting apart from society, like getting alienated, but nothing has changed in my life, so... hmm... strange.

Sat was church as usual, was soooo glad weichong played the whole canon in c~!!!!! woohoo~!! But sad didnt have time to look at chang hong, I think he had a wasted trip =( sigh....... me and my lousiness.... While in cell, there are many interesting questions that poped up, that each can easily be turned into a philosophical debate =D shall slowly venture into those someday when free. Oh yea, I found out Elliot and KY took pure lit~!!! I was like~~ woooohooooo~~~ sososososososooooooo rare would people even consider lit~!! It woudl be tough, but im so interested that I would want to learn together, cuz if im not wrong pure lit will study plays as well. The book is cliche though, romeo juliet.....

Sun wushu was tiring, but at least for the first time I had someone's 'ren tong' (acknowledgement, of achievement, of standard met, of acceptable performance), like finally..... As I said, dont really have anything to be proud of except that fluke scholarship. Then went for steamboat with tanny and weide, and so on and so on.....

Today the test was screwed, left around 10 marks out of 30 blank, and 4 marks gone already due to lack of studying, no choice, procrastinate too much? Oh yea I had even forgotten to bring calculator! though the teacher lent it to me, it really shows something on me you see...

So yea in psychology, also learnt great lessons on behavioral management, like how to help people in various scenarios, and the term reward and punishment often surface. That's one, second is that we got to ask ourselves, how far are we willing to go?

For example, if you had a group member who fell into procrastination? Or perpetual lateness problem? Negative sanctions are not recommended, as it would not result in change of behaviour, just that the victim would no longer concern you, but his/her new clique. For example, how would you impose fine? Or how are you gonna reward them? What right do you have to confiscate their personal belongings? Or their freedom? There isn’t a distinct authority and hierarchy, we’re dealing at the peers level.

I also learnt that giving the guilt treatment is not recommended as well. Often people would try to sound in a way the person would feel guilty, for example to complaint that they missed the first part of the movie due to the lateness. However these guilt treatments would snowball into gossip behind the back, and eventually labelling them, and then end of friendship.

This is because these would result in accumulative feelings. These accumulative feelings could destroy relationships. One more case is in terms of work done, effort, marks attained, and academic excellence. As 3 Idiots pointed out: When your friend do badly, you feel bad, when your friend do better, you feel worst. Why would this be the case? Does that show a certain selfishness in human nature? Then about selfishness, don’t you think Reward for Work, Work for Reward has become our culture, and does that reflect something on our moral grounds? Again I think the bottomline goes back to few basics, money, self.


Anyway, back to topic, thus the slow method is always a better approach, according to western culture. Slow methods include to the extent you sacrifice yourself. For example, you meet the person one on one beforehand, call up before meeting time, constant reminders, or in terms of rehearsing for speech, to slowly increase audience from 1 to give the person confidence, these can be really hard. This is a constant challenge for me, how far can I go? As much as I want to help, how far am I willing to do so without compromising much on my other aspects?

No comments: