Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Today after Mala last lecture I went to esplanade for La Cage Aux Folles. Really weird to think that I would go to watch musicals, but the 50% student deal attracted me too much. Thus I bought the best category tix, right in the middle of the theater. 58 for such seats, I think is worth it. Then, as the show goes on, I felt it was really worth it. They actually took the musical into singapore context, with jokes like mrt breakdowns, good cause to sponsor singing career, Tan Jin Gui, sg coffeeshop slangs and some other witty jokes are awesome, especially with Hossan Leong as Jacob or Claudie. Love his expression, always being the "extra" one to interrupt within conversation, siding the protagonist Albin, until one part where George bribed him with 100 and he "accidentally" showed it to Albin haha. There are some funny reference to the lyrics too like, "20 years ago the waves still can crash on east coast, now might have oil stains" haha. And there are few funny parts like how Albin tried to eat you char kuey by blowjob action hahaha!

I had a good night at the musical.

The musical gave me a few deep thoughts, the story was about a homosexual family with a heterosexual son who wanted to marry a daughter of an advocate to anti-homo. Then the meet the parents condition excluded Albin, which made him sad, for he has devoted to the family so much yet the most important life transition of their son, John. So the whole musical is not too much of the homosexual theme but rather acceptance and unconditional love.

Really, its truly to accept everyone as who they are, in line with their song, I am who I am. In sociologist point of view, we should not hope that things change, but rather hope that we can understand, accept and embrace the diversity of culture. And ofcoz, to cherish everyone by your side that really cared for you. Albin had put in so much for John, in no way he could exclude this "mother" for the meet-the-in-laws session.

"How often is someone concerned
With the tiniest thread of your life?
Concerned with whatever you feel
And whatever you touch?
Somebody cares that much.

How often does somebody sense
That you need them without being told?
When you have a hurt in your heart
You're too proud to disclose?
 Somebody always knows.

When your world spins too fast,
And your bubble has burst,
Someone puts himself last,
So that you can come first."

Totally awesome song. Then I realized I'm wearing the bracelet thingy that a friend gave, and thought of catching up with him again. Really, it was one of the more heartfelt gift I have ever received. It suits my liking, he knows that Im a rather egoistic person that liked to show off, esp ornaments like this. I will not lose this person in my life, I shall cherish him, in terms of friends ofcoz!

 I think the musical has better actors, context and props that the original or the revival one in Broadway. I greatly encourage Sgreans to support local theater production especially with 50% student deal. I have no idea how to publicize this even more, hope that through these few days I can encourage some sales. Esp students, why willing to spend so much money on KPOP merchanize of foreign language and not much talents nor content? Support such production will be better, better content, better display of skills, better environment and best cause to help our own potentials to bring out more for us. This really goads me to fund brilliant scripts and productions for the sake of having their creativity and ideas spread to the nation. 

Anyway, on the train back, my playlist jumped to an oldie, 周華健-愛相隨, I think it has a similar theme to the musical, and it reaffirm that oldies have the greatest and most impactful lyrics.... 

人分飛 愛相隨  
那怕用一生去追  
我又怎麼能追得回 與你相慰 

People come and go, each in different directions 
Often we got to use our lifetime to pursue something we love 
But how do I chase back the moments that we used to have 

我為你癡 為你累  
風雨我都不後悔  
我又怎麼有路可退  
曾經深情 你給了誰  
我如何面對 

I have spend so much on you 
That irrationality, that fatigue 
But I dont utter a moan 
How do I even retreat? 
 How do I even face? 
The beautiful past that still haunts me 

 Cherish people~~ Cherish moment~~ Cherish life~~

No comments: