Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Today I volunteered in SgCares, my first, it was a great experience. Same as the other homes I visited, just that the facilities here are no doubt best ive ever seen, and the elderly are responding better. After a little ice break they even initiated to sing!

There was this petite lady, lady of her 70s, who was rather impressed by my first 2 lines when I took the mic, she was awesome =D haha biasness. Anyway, she was engaging, optimistic, and caring. She was also humble as I prompted her to sing. She sang eventually though. So she was sharing about her ward patient who passed earlier this morning, on her 73rd birthday. There wasnt a slightest sorrow or sadness, just a little pity perhaps, as she recalled the times with her I guess, but other than that, totally optimistic. For some reason I saw the epitome of Auntie Imm. Another pattern of life I guess, though small, optimistic and caring, therefore cheerful. After a while, she asked me to go back to her friend's side, the one I initially sat by.

The songs suited me ofcoz, but majority was teresa teng, thus the pitch was too high for me, and woudl sound aweful if I adjust and transpose down. I wanted to do this as a once in a while thing, but I gguess I'll have an extra commitment to hold on to now. My in charge said that these folks are most probably abandoned and neglected, in terms of presence, such that they were put there with a sum of money, and they disappeared, poof... thin air. Some though, still held on to their phones, in case they called. Sigh.

And so while waiting, I chatted with the in charge, she was also sharing about how she saw this family in the arcade playing the scoop-the-candy-up machine, 3 of them each in a different counter, and they approached their dad for 50 bucks like as if it was lunch money or something. So I shared with her that I saw this family too, the mother at the fishing game, father at the jackpot, daughter at the Dance Dance Revolution, one son at console and another at Midnight, and I saw the father handed the son a stack of 50 for them to spend.

Sigh, we were wondering how many differences could these families make in the needys. This was why I argued, a little, that business ethics are rubbish, I dont see why we shouldnt use 'techniques' to leech money from the rich for the poor. Anyway, msot are bullshit, for example, just by stating terms and condition apply, doesnt mean the information is complete, the ultimate motives are still for the onlookers to step in the stores, in hope they would eye on their products. Well, I guess this is what makes Robin Hood so attractive, its everyone's wish to be one, but many got sucked into the temptation of riches and their luxurious lifestyle.

After the event, I went to Bishan for lunch, and explored the place for an hour from 11.30, before having my lunch and head to Rohn's house. He came back at 7pm, got into lots of trouble because he didnt inform his mum that he went for some english enrichment. Familiar case. Used to be like that during my pri. Personally I believed he's not suited for VS, just as how I went into 3A and plunged down like the apple on Newton. Acceleration of 10 marks per test. (haha). The environment - its just different. Well, back to topic, I had a couple of lazy times too when though I know my parents would allow extensions, I got lazy to call back.

So far, he wasnt nagged as bad as I did, partly I guess I was there, so his mum do not want to embarrass him. Oh yea anyway, maybe, just maybe, he didnt phone back to avoid classmates terming him as a mama boy, but he got his own handphone, he could have told his sis.... oh well....

Didnt barged into the matter, since Rohn was largely at fault for making them worried, but then again, Singapore, what could be so dangerous before midnight? Lots, but rare. Sometimes, just que sera sera, parts and parcels of growing up. Great sociology finding. Anyway, just relating another one is how passengers would work together by waking each other up at interchange or students when they had reached their schools. Oh, how I missed the torture to try to sleep though destination is near, then had to jumped up in a few seconds. Haha.

Speaking of this, he got to wake up at 5am every morning for school, that's so torturous, though he can sleep in bus, but there was no companion. If I were him I would start to nudge the 2 other VS in his area. Anyway, hmmm, wondering if I should invite him over on Tue-Thur, so save him the struggle to wake up early and sleeping in bus, but knowing how money minded my parents are they sure charge him, at least 10 a day I guess, cuz nothing is included but food, but to think of it, it makes no difference since he'll be in my room, thus the aircon charge no diff.

Again, 心有余力不足, sigh sigh, he's another potential, just like people like keiyun, oh I just realized not too long ago they're of the same age, perhaps their generation is really one of the potent generation? Their curiosity, exposure to books and information, thoughts, perspectives..... amazes me, I dont remember my peers were like that at that age, and that was the age where I only know sing and piano, and wushu =D

No comments: