Friday, June 10, 2011

Today was another awesome day, loved my life~! Went to SCC with an empty stomach and to my surprise, Auntie Imm reserved a MacDonald meal for me~!!! Auntie Imm FTW~!!

Today we spend the whole day rehearsing for the script I wrote for them for their talent quest on 24th. I wrote that this morning, for 2h, using the format I've learnt from the screenwriting workshop. I've included a trigger point for the story to start, some sort of problem. I managed to include some character personalities in it too, all except an emotional plot because generally the theme is singlish without foreign language and the outline of the story is rebellion against the stomach, then realized its worth, and then happily ever after. My effort paid off though, despite all the fret that they might find it lame and boring or kiddish. Alvin actually wanted to finish the skit first before enjoying their french fries tea break, Im really touched~!

Another thing is that Samantha came over and asked me about the results for marketing fundamentals because she saw me walking around with that thick book before my test that day. She told me that she had been praying for me for good results, she took me at my utterly vulnerable part, I was speechless, but came up with a reassuring line saying, I dont know the exact mark, but so far I am confident of an ace. Her gleaming face and that jump twist of her totally stunned me, it was heartwarming, and extremely touching, I had became a rather important person in her life at SCC besides Uncle Joe and Elizabeth Jie Jie. Actually in fact, besides probably my parents, no one was that jovial for my success than her, and that way she celebrate that, I had never experienced it before, it's definitely more sincere than anyone in my life, and that outburst of energy that not even my parents show me, or even worst, they would always feel 'not good enough' or simply they could not really show their joy because of their restriction being an adult.

This got me thinking, this was perhaps the reason I cried watching 'I not stupid', because of the very first line of the show, "When is the last time you applauded or congratulated your kids?" and followed by the lyrics "We can give ourselves the round of applause". In school, at home, there is just too much face-work and image consciousness that it deprives our chance to receive the outburst of energy and excitement to celebrate our victories.

Lastly, I played some real life counter-strike with the usual group before going to Tai's house to try out a home made game where we have to barter to win. Our objectives are to collect a certain number of unique goods, while food is consumed as family members increase, and the market supply and demand varies. When I'm free perhaps I would come up with a story with some scenarios to help aid the game and who knows, might be a possible game on the shelves of boardgaming cafes....

Anyway, some food for thoughts, using labelling theory, the court will not have the fairest judgement, because there are too many assumptions and stereotyping. For example, a man's business might be going down because of his wife's illness, but due to her death, he might be labelled as a murderer to kill her wife to solve his financial difficulties.

Words are like nets - we hope they'll cover what we mean, but we know they can't possibly hold that much joy, or grief, or wonder.

No comments: