Saturday, November 6, 2010

Today shixiong gave us souvenirs from wudang. He gave me '学无止境', at first I wondered why, since I prefer '难得糊涂', because I believe I used to be one who at times dont say out my feelings in order to maintain the happy state of another person. However these few weeks Im getting a little too sensitive. Thus it might suit me as it means to turn a blind eye sometimes, sometimes it's wiser to let flow than to manage it your own. However as I read the sub-message of mine, it read, '我尝终日不食,终夜不寝,以思,无益,不如学也'. At first I didnt fully understand the difference between '学' and '思', because how to learn if never think. However through researches I found out the relationship is '学而不思则罔,思而不学则殆'. If only learn but never think about it (thoughtless cramping of knowledge), you're just deceiving yourself, because it's pointless learning. Yet if you only think but don't learn, it's dangerous because the same fact, knowledge, or wisdom, could have devastating effect when use in wrong context. So to fully understand the culture, must both think and learn at the same time. Thanks to shixiong, I knew a greater, more personal and deeper understanding of '学无止境' which I first thought just a plain encouragement for students to work hard.

No comments: